Designer Spotlight: Jen Judd Velasquez

Each week, we are talking to jewelry designers and/or bead artists who enjoy incorporating leather, ribbon and cords into their work. We will get to know each designer, show off their jewelry creations  and ask them their thoughts about using fibers in jewelry.

Today, we are talking with Jen Judd Velasquez.

So, Jen, tell us a little bit about yourself?

 I have a unique balance in life because my weekdays are spent in uniform as an officer in the Air Force working in an environment where conformity is key but then on my own time, I'm focused on using my creative energy to make fun, unique things. I started beading in 2007 while trying to find something to do aside from dating in D.C. I was not having much luck finding a man but I found a ton of good beads. Once I gave up the hunt for a mate and started focusing on my crafty self, I ended up meeting a wonderful guy and now we're married! He's tremendously supportive so I still devote lots of energy to learning new techniques, practicing with different components and tools, and continuing my exploration of various creative outlets. Jewelry is still my main interest but I find myself working more on creating my own wire components, working with fire to change up metal and beads, and all-around figuring out how to really make my pieces represent me! I truly appreciate the art-bead-jewelry-creative blogging community that has become a part of my daily life. Thanks so much for giving me the opportunity to share!


What's your favorite type of cording or fiber to work with in jewelry?

I've been so inspired by luscious suede cording lately that my designs have been growing from there almost on their own!


Why do you like working with cords and fibers in your designs? What quality draws you to these materials?

I'm first drawn to color but then texture...the soft and supple feel of the suede is fun to juxtapose against the hardness of steel wire. That's my favorite combination of materials right now. Plus I like that you can "finish" this suede in so many different ways--a glued or crimped end, a gathering of wire, or just a simple knot!

 Jen, I really enjoyed getting to know you a bit better. Thank you for talking with us!

Find Jen at her blog: Jen Judd Rocks 
And
Find more of Jen's creations in her Etsy shop: Jen Judd Rocks 
 

Search This Blog

Most Reading