Designer Spotlight: Malin de Koning

Each week, we are talking to jewelry designers and/or bead artists who enjoy incorporating leather, ribbon and cords into their work. We will get to know each designer, show off their jewelry creations  and ask them their thoughts about using fibers in jewelry.

Today, we are talking with Malin de Koning.

So, Malin, tell us a little bit about yourself?

 Hi, I am Malin. I am Swedish and live in a small house in the countryside just outside Stockholm, the Capitol of Sweden, together with my English husband, our two children and two ginger cats. I have a background in, and a formal training in design and art. Used to work as a graphic/industrial/web designer. Unfortunately I can no longer work professionally due to MS (Multiple Sclerosis). Instead I got into jewelry making in 2008. I quickly got hooked, and after a while I developed a passion for art beads and working with a variety of materials and techniques. I love the fact that there are always new things to explore in the universe of beading. In 2010 I started a blog, after having been recommended to do so by my dear husband. I am so very happy for the internet existing, and for being able to be inspired by the particular branch of the international beading community that are into the same kind of jewelry as I am. www.beadingbymalindekoning.blogspot.com


What's your favorite type of cording or fiber to work with in jewelry?

Hmm...difficult question. I'd say to be able to vary which materials and methods I work with is a key element for me, if you understand what I mean. Some months ago I could have answered dupioni silk, today I might say waxed linen cord. I've just ordered my first silk cord (a few in different sizes and colors), and really look forward to trying that. Deer skin leather is fantastic ... It is what I look for in the expression and feel of the piece that decides which material I use. Not so much that I favor any one material in itself. They all have their own qualities.

Why do you like working with cords and fibers in your designs? What quality draws you to these materials?

Oh, you make me all excited now ... I think I could go on for hours about this topic ... I'll try to keep it short though. :-) I recently came to think it is a bit like Feng Shui. Different material qualities are needed for balance. At least for the kind of jewelry I make. (I do love a beautiful plain smooth silver ring, but that's not what I do.) The textile element could be there to balance for instance, a rustic quality in a ceramic component, or the shininess of glass beads. The stretched out elongated line-like quality of a cord creates an interesting conversation with a chain of circular links. This is why I love to use cords and fibers in my designs. Because it is so exciting to explore what happens when they meet the other materials.
 
Great answers, Malin. Thank you for talking with us!

You can find Malin at her blog: Beading by Malin de Koning
And
more of her jewelry in her Esty shop: Jewelry by Malin de Koning
 

Search This Blog

Most Reading