Designer Spotlight: Gaea Cannaday

Each week, we are talking to jewelry designers and/or bead artists who enjoy incorporating leather, ribbon and cords into their work. We will get to know each designer, show off their jewelry creations and ask them their thoughts about using fibers in jewelry.


Today we are talking with Gaea Cannaday.
Gaea is a ceramic bead artist as well as a talented jewelry designer.

So, Gaea, tell us a little bit about yourself?
How did mom know that giving me the name Gaea, the Greek goddess mother earth, I would love to work with the earth? Dirty hands are busy hands and I like mine dirty! Studying art and design in collage has given me a nice base to grow from. Working with ceramics for the first time opened my mind to utilitarian beauty. My parents and grand parents were creative people, painting, sculpting, writing poetry which instilled in me a deep love of all things art. I hope to never stop learning and growing in my work! 


What's your favorite type of cording or fiber to work with in jewelry?

Who can pick a favorite type of cording to work with?! There are so many dreamy choices! I am having a love affair with recycled silk sari ribbon at the moment! The colors are juicy and the feel is divine! They give everything a romantic and earthy feel. I just want to roll around in it... Ok! too much information! Leather is always on my radar! It is so easy to work with and practically requires no tools! Just scissors and simple knots make any project a cinch! 


Why do you like working with cords and fibers in your designs? What quality draws you to these materials?

There is a richness with leather and silk that is warm and inviting. Leather can be romantic and tough at the same time. Silk just takes me to a whole new world! I try to imagine what exotic lands it began its journey in. There is just something fantastic about natural materials. I have a whole fantasy that goes on in my head when I look at silk and leather. It totally fuels my creative fires!

Gaea, I love the look of your beads together with the leather and silk. They are a perfect match. Thank you for talking with us!

You can find more of Gaea at her blog: Gaea Handmade
And
Her jewelry and beads on her Website: Gaea's Website
 And
More jewelry and beads at her Etsy Shop: Gaea's Etsy Shop 


 

Search This Blog

Most Reading