Designer Spotlight: Shannon Chomanczuk

Each week, we are talking to jewelry designers and/or bead artists who enjoy incorporating leather, ribbon and cords into their work. We will get to know each designer, show off their jewelry creations and ask them their thoughts about using fibers in jewelry.

Today we are talking with Shannon Chomanczuk.

So, Shannon, tell us a little bit about yourself?

My name is Shannon Chomanczuk, I have a 2 year old daughter and celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary this July. I have been doing nails for 10 years and I own my own salon. I have a 3 day work week since giving birth to my daughter.

Things you may not know about me:
I am the oldest of 3 girls and just turned 35 (last) Thursday.
I worked in banking for over 5 years.
I am a Notary Public.
I graduated Magna Cum-Laude from Marist College with a Major in Communications and a Minor in Photography.
I have 4 dogs, a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, a Miniature Pincer, an English Pointer, and a Chihuahua.
I am addicted to Good N Plenty's.
My favorite colors are pink and purple yet I rarely make pink and purple jewelry.

I started making jewelry after attending a handmade jewelry party several years ago. I remember thinking "I can do this - better." I jumped in to jewelry making with both feet. Having the salon made it easy to display my pieces for sale and I am still in shock when my clients wear pieces I made years and years ago.

I had a very difficult pregnancy. It was draining, exhausting, and extremely stressful. I was so tired and so sick all the time that I could not make any jewelry or even read a book. I had my husband pack up all my beading supplies and tools and put them in the garage. My beautiful daughter was born healthy, kicking and screaming 2 weeks early in June 2009. I was stuck in the house most of that summer nursing my colic daughter, it was during that time I found jewelry and beading blogs. In fact I think the first blog I was drawn to was Lorelei's. I slowly began to bring the beads back out of the garage.

The last 2 years have brought my work to places even I didn't think it could go. I am so blessed to have not only had pieces accepted by Bead Trends magazine but to have a piece on the cover of the September 2011 issue! There are still so many avenues I wish to explore- lampworking, enameling, metal working. I am looking forward to an open house I will be putting on in the Fall at my salon. I don't know what the future holds for me but I do know that I am ready for the blessings which lie ahead.


What's your favorite type of cording or fiber to work with in jewelry?
-I love to use leather and silk.  


Why do you like working with cords and fibers in your designs? What quality draws you to these materials?
-I like using leather and silk in my jewelry because it offers a different texture to the overall design and it gives the eye another element to take in or to rest on, especially in a rather large piece.
I love to use leather as a toggle with a button or knotted with large hole beads or along side chain.
I love the feeling of silk especially the silk I get from Marsha Neal Studios. Silk offers a feminine touch to a design that may be using rather hard, rustic or industrial beads.
Adding leather, lace, silk or cording adds a different and an often unexpected twist to your jewelry designs. They can be knotted, wire wrapped, finished with ribbon ends, or tied into a bow.
This gives you the freedom to create the perfect combination of design and durability.

Shannon, you have such a wonderful eye for design and mixing elements together. Congratulations on the September cover of Bead Trends Magazine. Thank you for talking with us!

You can find more of Shannon at her blog: For My Sweet Daughter
And
Her jewelry and copper etched pendants at her Etsy Shop: Shannon's Etsy Shop
 

Search This Blog

Most Reading