Meet our Editor: Michelle Mach

Erin and I thought it would be exciting to share the news that we recently received word that our editor for our upcoming Jewelry Accord book, is Michelle Mach! 

Michelle is a freelance editor for Interweave Press and will be working diligently to help make our book a great success! We were both familiar with Michelle's designs because we've seen her in many beading publications. She was also the editor at Beading Daily! Michelle is no stranger to ribbon and cording- She shared some of her recent designs with us for this post! W e are certainly thrilled to have her working with us on this exciting adventure!


Erin recently asked Michelle some our burning questions, and we thought you'd be interested to get a little inside look at Michelle Mach- the beader, the crafter,  the editor!

What's it like being a freelance editor/writer/jewelry designer? What are your days like?

My days vary quite a bit, but that's what makes freelancing appealing.  Currently, I'm working on three different magazines (Stringing, Beadwork, and a new emag), plus the book, along with some projects for non-crafting clients. 
I'm definitely a morning person, so mornings are for anything that requires a lot of thinking or creativity such as writing articles or technical editing.  Afternoons are usually for more administrative tasks like sending emails, making phone calls, preparing invoices, or doing research tasks such as finding new products to feature.  Sometimes I'll go out and write at a coffee shop just for a change of environment.  Occasionally I have to drive to Interweave or elsewhere for meetings.  I still mainly bead in the evenings after dinner or on weekends, a habit I formed when I had a full-time job out of the house.  I do put in writing and editing hours over the weekend if I have a deadline, but I try to take time off when I can so I don't get burned out.



We have a lot of jewelry designers in this beading community who would absolutely love to make creating jewelry/writing about jewelry, etc. a full time gig. What advice would you give someone persuing a creative career like yours?

If you've never submitted your designs to a magazine or contest, I'd start there.  Creating something just for yourself or a friend is different than creating for a larger audience.  With a magazine or contest, you'll get experience with creating for a specific theme chosen by someone else, working with deadlines, and having to provide some kind of writing about your design, whether its step-by-step instructions, detailed lists of materials, or a paragraph on your inspiration.
Many freelancers (including me) work for a traditional publishing company before freelancing, either in a full-time role or as an intern.  It is definitely an advantage, since you'll not only learn about the field, but you'll meet lots of people who will be valuable contacts later on.  You don't need to necessarily look for an editing job, even if that's you're final goal.  I started working at Interweave as a web designer, which turned out to be a great position in that I got to interact with almost everyone at the company.  (Before Interweave, I worked as a librarian at a university, so I'm definitely proof that you can make a career change to a different field.)



We know you've written many jewelry tutorials and articles and you've been the editor of Beading Daily. Will this be your first time as an editor of a jewelry-making instruction book? How do you feel about being apart of this book? What do you think about the potential of this book concept?

Last year I was a technical reviewer on a beading book, but this is my first time in the book editor role.  (I do have other editorial experience in the magazine world, including technical editing, for publications such as Bead Star, Stringing, and the Handcrafted Jewelry Studio emag that came out last December.) 
I'm very excited about this book!  Ribbons and cords are so popular and a fun way to add texture to a design.  Plus, the five designers are all terrific.  I feel lucky that I get to see their designs before the rest of the world!



You've made lots of jewelry designs. Have you used cords, fibers or ribbons in your own work? If so, what is your favorite type of cording or fiber to work with in jewelry? Why do you like working with cords and fibers in your designs? What quality draws you to these materials?

I have used cords and ribbon in my jewelry designs.  I like how easy it is to find those materials, their affordability, and all the creative possibilities.  I especially like organza ribbon for its ethereal quality, but I love experimenting with all sorts of materials. 

 "For these earrings in Best of Stringing, I used paper cord.  Those earrings were the result of a personal challenge I gave myself to not use head pins or jump rings when making earrings."



"The Love Birds necklace from Beadwork (Oct/Nov 2007) shows a focal that I made by combining several separate brass elements and wrapping them with silk cord and sewing little seed bead daisies on them.  I was experimenting to see if it was possible to create a focal without using glue."




 "In the latest issue of Stringing (Spring 2011), my A Little Bird Told Me uses just a touch of organza ribbon.  I like using ribbon as an accent with a simple knot or bow."



"The Summer Camp necklace from Beads 2009 uses cotton cord and knotting."


Thank you Michelle for taking the time to talk to us so we could share this
with our blog readers!

Read more about Michelle at her Blog or her Website!
 

Search This Blog

Most Reading